Monday, August 27, 2012

day eighteen. A Mending Tutorial!!!!!

I have had a few mending projects sitting around so i thought it would be fun to do a "tutorial" / Slow fashion issue about mending garments! I think one of the most important things to know about mending is that you need to have a quality fabric to mend. Sometimes fast fashion can be just sew poorly but most times the fabric is no good either. This is a good time to say BYE to a fast fashion item and upcycle it some other way. The garments I have to mend today are all vintage pieces. Well made with just some wear and tear! 


The First Mending Project was a pair of vintage yellow shorts. 
These yellow sorts seam came out in the crotch area! Not a good thing at all. They were handmade so that made it easy to mend! Here i pinned together where the mending needed to happen.



I got my sewing machine out with some white thread and got to work mending the seam! I had some issues with my sewing machine that caused bunched fabric but i eventually got it all sorted out and when it was fixed it was done in a snap! 

The other thing was that the hem on the inside of the shorts was coming out on one side so i did a quick blind hem to hold the hem! Here is a great tutorial on how to hand stitch a blind hem. And another one on how to do it with a sewing machine.  I love the ribbon in the inside hem isn't it so cool! 

And voila! Quick and easy. I wore the pants that day, featured in Day Sixteen!






Mending Project Number 2 is my mom's 70's burgandy pant suit. I cant wait to rock this. The blind hem came out so i did exactly what i did with the yellow shorts. The fabric on these pants is much lighter so i had to be even more careful. 
Here is the hem that came out 



the other leg's blind hem



this was the result after i tried it the first time......the fabric was puckering really bad. I realized quickly I had put too many stitches in and they were too tight so i had to redo the hem!
See...... Too many and too tight stitches 


but TADA! it worked out and was worth the redo! Can't wait to feature these in my September Issues blog series coming soon!


Here they are with other projects on my sewing room door!







Mending Project Number Three was a green dress i got at Hope's Outlet. A button fell off moments before i bought it so i knew i was going to have to mend the button. 

here it is with the missing button

I hand sewed the button on with some green thread! 

i quickly learned that the one missing button was not the only problem with the dress. Two of the button holes on the dress had lost their stitching and all of the buttons really needed to be resewn. The threads were all loose. 
got some really light interfacing at Fields Fabric (Thanks for the gift guys!)
cut it into small pieces just large enough to fit over the button home
this was the first attempt. I ended up sewing together the button holes with a quick hand stitch to get the fabric to come together. Then you get out your iron and fuse them together!

After the sides were fused i used my button hole maker kit on my sewing machine to do it automatically. I love that thing i hardly have to think other than the placement.
they turned out pretty good and i ended up using my sewing machine to sew on all of the other buttons as well. 


Here is the back of it with all of its shiny buttons newly sew in! I am excited to wear this vintage dress now that its all fixed up!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments :) I love learning more about my readers and having them ask me questions! If you dont feel comfortable asking here feel free to email me! theyearofslowfashion-at-gmail-dot-com